Sunday, July 4, 2010

Image of Sunday

I may not be American, but I never pass on a chance to celebrate and have a little party – especially if it involves fireworks, which I just adore. Pretty colors that join the stars… that’s just beautiful.

Besides, 4th of July is Independence Day and since it celebrates Independence, I’m in! Actually, it celebrates the Declaration of Independence, which has some of the most powerful words that we should all live by every day.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

See, isn’t that a good thing to celebrate? Also, I always feel that as gay people (as a whole no matter where you live), we’re in a category of our own, where we often have to fight to be treated as equals, while living as independent individuals.

So whoever you are and wherever you live. Happy Independence day! Let’s celebrate it with a bang…. A pretty bang!
And this time the bonus is a song by a very independent, talented and amazing woman: Robyn with “Dancing on my own”, which is a fiercely independent song. I read an interview with her recently, where she stated that it really isn’t a sad song, since it’s about a girl who’s watching the person she wants dancing and kissing someone else, so she just continues to dance on her own instead of leaving and being defeated. Just notice these lyrics towards the end of the song:

So far away, but still so near
The lights go on, the music dies
But you don't see me, standing here
I just came to say goodbye




Also, Robyn is brilliant at not making her songs very gender specific, which I love. She just relates them to herself singing “I'm givin' it my all, but I'm not the girl you're takin' home - I keep dancin' on my own”, but who she sings to or about is always up to the listener.

Celebrating all week,
- GG

No comments: