Monday, April 19, 2010

To critique or review?

I can get so irritated with film critics. In my opinion, you can choose to either critique or review a film. And to me, those who critique always choose to see all the bad and negative aspects of what they're essentially reviewing. I know, I know, I hardly make any sense and really it's all semantics, but still... It's such a sad way to look at things.

If a movie really sucks, then I'll say it sucks. But I can still tell you what was good about it – if anything – and I am able to watch a movie and accept that a comedy or horror film needs to deliver something different than say a drama. Comedies hardly ever get good reviews because they're not Oscar worthy movies and if that's your rating curve, then they simply can't measure up. But if the job of a comedy is to make you laugh, and I nearly pee myself cause I'm laughing like my life depends [oh yes, pun intended] on it, then that comedy has done exactly what it set out to do. And dammit, it deserves a good review then. Not just a decent one, cause it's "Good for a comedy". I mean, what the hell else should you review it as? I prefer to look at the glass as half full and not whine about it being half empty.

If I watch a movie, then I start by accepting that I'm watching something within a certain genre and then I base my review on whether or not it succeeded within that genre. If I want to laugh and I then watch "Boys Don't Cry", I'll hardly have a good time. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a good movie.

Ahh, I'm rambling... But, my point is, I don't think "Jennifer's Body" was all that bad. No, it wasn't great, but it was from the mind of Diablo Cody, and this was very clear throughout the movie, if you were open to seeing that. And – I know it was very hyped, but still – the kiss between Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried really was DAMN hot!



Also, "Bitch Slap" was FUN... it was supposed to be a BAD movie that made fun of all the other crappy exploitation and B-movies. And that scene in the trailer was DAMN hot!



So my point is really this: If you get two girls kissing and they seem to like it, then I'll give the movie a great review - and thanks to DVD's I won't have to break the videotape, cause I'm really only watching a few select scenes... over and over and over again! ;o)

Feeling SUPER gay,
- GG

3 comments:

Snow said...

I LOVE Jennifer's body and Bitch Slap, I don't mind what critics say, both movies are very fun to watch (the hot ladies are a plus too).
I see that you read my blog, do you speak spanish? Or you just enjoy the pictures? ;)
Sorry if my english is bad :(

*** GayGirl2000 *** said...

Hi Snow. :) Yes, I found your blog recently and simply adore it! Unfortunately, my Spanish is very limited, but I've wanted to learn this language forever, so your blog is the perfect reason and opportunity to get started – in the meantime, I’m making good use of Google Toolbar’s translating functions. It doesn’t work perfectly, but you can make sense of it and the obvious errors are usually pretty funny.
Also, some of my favorite movies are in Spanish (anything by Pedro Almodóvar, Guillermo del Toro, Jaume Balagueró and many more), as well as many of the best LGBT movies – and let’s not forget “Los Hombres de Paco” with the Pepa and Silvia storyline. So yeah, I need to learn Spanish.

Your English is very good, so you have nothing to worry about. ;o)
- GG

Ab Wolf said...

Yay, I watched Bitch slap with my bro,and we enjoyed it! And it was hot, afterall. I think critics don't know that we couldn't be so serious about evertything. These movies are made for fun not for make us cry or thinking about the world's biggest problems. Jeah, I like dramas and ect. really, but fun is so necessary sometimes!